Monday, February 11, 2013

An Exercise in Trust, Love, and Letting Go....

If you know me, you know how much I love my dog, Zoey Adele. She is my child, my buddy, my shadow. I "rescued" her in 2008, and knew from the get-go that it was definitely her doing all the rescuing. The moment I saw her (admittedly horrifying to behold that first day) in the Waco Humane Society, I knew we belonged together. I am unabashedly thankful for her happy little self in my life.

And yes, I can be a crazy dog-mom. I have sewn her clothes (once, matching outfits for the two of us. I know.), gotten her a pet (Lucy), put her on a diet to get her to Sakhalin on the plane with us (and should that have not worked, would have forked over the high price for a pet travel service).

For her happy-go-lucky ways, she as unfortunately had some health issues over the years, earning herself the nickname "Platinum Dog" in my college house. Fall of 2011 brought a new issue- a problem with her glands. The day I discovered the issue, which was pretty painful looking (and really  painful for my sweet girl) I was beside myself. When she had to have minor surgery, I hoped that it was behind us. Then a month later, it was back. Another surgery, more tears, a pouty puppy. But then it was gone. We went for monthly check ups, becoming familiar faces at our home vet office. Zoey made it in for a final check 5 days before we flew. No sign of any trouble.

Until yesterday. I noticed that she was not her peppy self, ignoring her best friend, Lucy, in favor of the recliner. But I didn't see the problem until she cried in pain when I picked her up.

Oh, no. Not this again. Not here. 

I was a mess. Really, truly. I didn't know any vets here, there's the language barrier, my access to medicines (or at least my knowledge of access) is limited. I can be fearful when it comes to the things and people that I love. And I just felt so alone. 

Boy, was I wrong. The outpouring of support, from new friends here, and those on the other side of the world, did so much to assuage my fears. People helped me get a vet set up to come to my house. My Russian teacher, Elena, came to translate for me, since the vet didn't speak any English, and even offered to go pick up the medications that the vet prescribed, a huge help since I wouldn't have known where to go, what to ask for, or have been able to communicate with the pharmacist!

So, thank you, friends. It's good to be reminded of the things I love deeply, and to know that I have an amazing support system, all over the world.

Everything is going to be ok. Everything. Trust, trust, trust. Dig deep, find it, hold onto it, believe it. Then live as a person who is connected with that truth. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Emmie,

    My name’s Stacey Bunch, I work for PSG films, a TV/Film production company (www.psgfilms.com). We are currently researching a documentary series for National Geographic Channel. In 2008 and 2010 we produced two documentaries in Russia, one of them, for example, is Russia’s Toughest Prisons.

    We are looking for Americans who can make Russia more accessible to an American audience. We’re fascinated by the challenges of the landscapes, the strength of its people and all of the extremes that come with life in Russia. We’d like to know a bit more about you as we research potential cast members.

    What brought you and Matt to Sakhalin? What work do you both do?

    Thank you very much for your time,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot my email address :)
    staceybunch@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister and brother-in-law are headed your way very soon and I would love to hear your suggestions as to what is best to include in their bon voyage gift or future care packages. If you get a moment, please email me at kbelobrajdic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete